The General Dental Council (GDC) introduced a new enhanced continuous professional development (CPD) scheme for dentists in January 2018 and for dental care professional (DCPs) in August 2018. The list below details the key changes:
- the requirement for all dental professionals to have a personal development plan (please see the files below to download a printable version of the personal development plan (PDP) Portfolio or to download a version that can be filled in digitally)
- an increase in the number of verifiable hours and the requirement to spread the hours more evenly across the five-year cycle
- dental professionals no longer have to declare non-verifiable CPD to the GDC and there is an overall reduction of CPD hours for all dental professionals
- the requirement to make an annual declaration of CPD hours completed, even if zero hours have been completed for that year
- the requirement to align CPD activity with specific development outcomes
- the requirement for professionals to plan CPD activity according to their individual “field(s) of practice”.
How can we help?
Our role is to facilitate and support learning for all the dental team as recommended in the General Dental Council Guidance with regards to continuing education. We can put together an effective plan of action to direct you and your team to the most appropriate pathway of learning that will suit your personal and professional needs. Interested? Please contact the Quality Improvement Project Officer to arrange a date for your areas quality improvement (QI) educator's visit. Contact: HEIW Dental QI Tel: 03300 584219