Skip to main content

International medical graduates (IMG)

Wales is a unique country in Great Britain with it's own culturelanguage, customs, politics, holidays and music

Working in the NHS

The NHS (National Health Service) is a government-funded organisation which employs most of the health professionals across the UK. The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK.

Below are useful steps to take towards working in the UK.

  1. To work as an IMG in the NHS, you will need a skilled worker visa.
  2. To work as a doctor in the UK, you will need to be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC). Find out about registration and licensing or apply for registration.
  3. To complete your registration to the GMC, you will need to sit a Professional Linguistic Assessment Board test, also known as a PLAB exam. Guidance on PLAB is available from the GMC.
  4. Once you’re ready, you can apply for an NHS job.


Below are links to some external resources and content for which HEIW are not responsible: