Skip to main content

Study leave

Trainee doctors can apply for funded study leave. Policies have been designed to ensure access to study leave is fair, equal and consistent for all trainee doctors in Wales.


Claiming study leave

In order to claim study leave expenses, you need to submit claims via the E-Expenses account. As trainees are employed by the Single Lead Employer in Wales, further guidance on this process and support with this is available via the NWSSP website.


Study leave approval

For foundation and secondary care (or specialty) trainees, study leave is approved by the medical education department at your local health board. You can find a list of contacts at education centres.

For GP trainees in practice posts, study leave is approved by Health Education and Improvement Wales (HEIW).


Study leave policies

Please select the study leave policy below that applies to your current stage of training.